Passive Optical Networking
Why Passive Optical Networks (PON) is the Cutting Edge Solution for the Future
Today’s ever-changing technology applications require options for the distribution of information in commercial, public educational and governmental markets. Passive Optical Networks (PON) provides a solution that minimizes the physical footprint, increases distance and bandwidth, reduces latency, and improves physical and network security.
- Adherence to Green and sustainability initiatives-LEED and STEP.
- Reduced costs for moves, adds, and changes.
- Lower price per port on passive components.
- Pre-terminated systems reduce labor and installation times.
- Passive technology requires no AC.
- Eliminates the need for Layer 2 switching.
- Eliminates Smart Net fees.
- Improves bandwidth.
- No power required for passive components
- Minimizes cable pathways (cable tray, etc.)
- Requires no electric for passive components.
- Provides 99999’s of availability.
- Significant CapEx and OpEx savings.
- No telecommunications closets required for components.
Although passive optical networks have been around for several years, mainly in the federal government environments, other markets such as the educational, healthcare and assisted living markets are recognizing the benefits and savings of deploying this technology in their facilities. The installation time for this technology is, by far, faster than a legacy copper installation and can minimize the cost of operation.
If you have questions about this technology or would like to see an active Passive Optical Network, contact the professionals at Gettle.